Insurance Website
800.772.8043
Quick Links Personal Insurance Business Insurance Life & Health Insurance Senior Products Programs

Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the "Silent Killer" — as it is odorless, colorless and tasteless, yet can have deadly consequences. Carbon monoxide is a gas byproduct of burning fossil fuels in your furnace, clothes dryer, fireplace, automobile, portable heater, generator or other small engines and home appliances. Most issues occur when the equipment is malfunctioning or is in need of service or repair.

When inhaled, carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in the blood, depriving the body's organs of oxygen. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guideline for the permissible exposure limit of carbon monoxide is 50 parts per million (ppm). Elevated levels (100 ppm) of carbon monoxide will start to impact the body and may cause dizziness, headaches, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pains and confusion. Higher levels (150-200+ ppm) can cause disorientation, unconsciousness and even death. Long-term impact could include loss of short-term memory and other brain or organ disorders.

The good news is that carbon monoxide can be kept in check and easily detected in your home.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide In Your Home

Because most carbon monoxide issues occur when a fuel-burning source (furnace, clothes dryer, fireplace, etc.) is not working properly or is in need of service/repair, proper maintenance and use of your home systems is essential.

  • Have yearly maintenance contracts and inspections on furnace and chimney(s).
  • Make sure other fuel-burning appliances, like hot water heaters and gas dryers, are properly vented with no cracks, broken seals or blocked vents.
  • Don't use generators and fuel-burning space heaters inside your home.
  • Never leave your automobile running in the garage especially with the garage door closed.

Detecting Carbon Monoxide In Your Home

Early warning of carbon monoxide in your home is critically important and can easily be achieved with the installation of a battery operated, plug-in or hardwired detector. Digital displays are best as they show the level of carbon monoxide and can be monitored for any fluctuation. Always read the manufacturer's specification for placement and check with local codes for additional requirements, but here are some general rules of thumb:

  • Minimally install one carbon monoxide detector per floor and at least one outside each bedroom area or within 15 feet of bedrooms. IRC 315, which is part of the international building code, suggests minimally placing carbon monoxide detectors outside each bedroom area and inside any bedroom with a fuel-burning appliance.
  • Detectors should be located within 5-15 feet of garage and mechanical rooms on the interior of the home.
  • Detectors should be mounted 5 feet above the floor or at eye level on the wall.
  • Combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors should be mounted on the ceiling or 6 inches from the ceiling on a wall, or as required by local code.
  • If your local code requires combination smoke/carbon monoxide detection – follow the code for placement and number of smoke/carbon monoxide detectors as a minimum.
  • Batteries should be replaced each year and detectors should be replaced approximately every 5 years.

Also make sure you have home insurance coverage in place, in the event that you need to file a claim related to carbon monoxide. Contact TCU Insurance Agency for more information.

(Article courtesy: Chubb)

Contact Us

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive


View Mobile Version
Connect With Us:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Yelp
Latest News
Read more >
Trusted Choice TCU Insurance Agency
Corporate Office

425 Lincolnway East
Mishawaka, IN 46544

Ph: 574.256.6070
Ph: 800.772.8043
Fx: 574.252.2109
  Request A Quote
Contact Us
Auto Insurance
Home Insurance
Business Insurance
Life Insurance
Senior Products
Other Programs
Home Page
Who We Are
Our Carriers
Map & Directions
FAQ
News Center
Newsletters
©2018 Teachers Credit UnionPowered by Insurance Website Builder